January 2020 brain dump
Yet another brain dump post. (brain dump: snapshot of the internal state of a knowledge database for transfer or archiving purposes). Previous: Jun 2019, Feb 2019, May 2018, Nov 2018, May 2018, Jan 2018, May 2017, April 2017, March 2017.
Math / Geometry
- Mathematical Models - Complete sets of Platonic solids and Archimedean solids as well as numerous other polyhedra, including a number featured in the designs of Leonardo da Vinci.
- A Constellation of Origami Polyhedra - In this fascinating guide for paperfolders, origami expert John Montroll provides simple directions and clearly detailed diagrams for creating amazing polyhedral. Step-by-step instructions show how to create 34 different models. Grouped according to level of difficulty, the models range from the simple Triangular Diamond and the Pyramid, to the most complex Icosahedron and the highly challenging Dimpled Snub Cube and the magnificent Stella Octangula.
- Calculating the Plane Angles of Platonic Solids - What is the angle between two planes of a tetrahedron?
- List of makers on twitter - A list of people on twitter to follow that are makers/inventers.
- Cassidy Williams @cassidoo - A very very funny programer comedian. Also a mech keyboard fan. Favorite posts: First try, ESLint, goofing off
- Simone Giertz - a Swedish inventor, maker, robotics enthusiast, maker of shitty robots.
- Plague doctor at a rave - LED Circles around the eyes on a leather mask.
- My neighbor totoro backlit PCB board.
- Bookshelf Dioramic - Tiny Dioramic that is sized to fit next to books on a bookshelf.
- Lightwork - Lightwork simplifies the process of mapping complex arrangements of LEDs, removing the limitations of straight lines and grids from your light based creations.
- Mechanical 7-segment display - A cam system for dispaying a mechanical 7-segment display. Hackaday, Video
- Capacitive touch noise synth - A wonderfuly designed PCB with beautiful capacitive touch traces. Made by Nicolas Collins at the School of the Art Institute in Chicago
- LED Lava Lamp - A wonderfully designed LED Lava lamp with a great diffuser.
- PCB coin cell to USB - A super neat PCB coin cell that converts USB power to a coin cell 3v. instructables
- Truncated Icosidodecahedron - Instructions on how to make a Truncated Icosidodecahedron on a laser cutter and a 3d printer. It shows how it is designed in Fusion 360.
- Laser cutter projects - A youtube channel that has a bunch of different laser tuctter projects, and the files to make them. This video has a few starwars models
- The Essential Guide to Shenzhen - A free downloadable ebook copy of the The Essential Guide to Shenzhen by bunnie
- Black mage LED eyes - Using a LED dotmatrics for the eyes. video
- Minimalist Marble Machine - The simplest form of a marble machine but done extreamly well. Hackaday post
- Detector - A star light led panels with wonderful patterns at the pace gallery, by @leo_villareal_studio. When I was in london I got a chance to see this art exibit, wonderful. My videos can be found on my instagram.
- Simple Scraper - Browser plugin for scraping website and making JSON or APIs based on them.
- RunwayML - Machine learning for creators. Bring the power of artificial intelligence to your creative projects with an intuitive and simple visual interface. Start exploring new ways of creating today.
Leave a comment