These are the results from the “acrylic ornaments design thoughts and research”. They turned out O.K. I am still not completely happy with it. I learned a lot from this batch and I am looking forward to the next one. The raw file can be downloaded here.
Gallery of all of the Snowflakes in this batch [nggallery id=12]
Puzzle pieces I added the puzzle pieces in to the file to fill in the empty space that would normally be wasted. John C (A VHS member) gave me some earning hooks that I attached to a set of the puzzle pieces. They turned out pretty nice.
3D Snowflake I also cut a design that I found on thingiverse.com a 3D SnowFlake in 4 pieces. The pieces snap together but still could use some glue. Its nice, but I don’t think I will be making another one.
Slotted 3D snowflakes This was my attempt at making slotted 3D snowflakes. The source file above was scaled too small so I scaled up the source image and forgot to re-size the slot. Because of this the slot was too large and would not fit together snugly. I re-designed the slotted 3D snowflake with the correct slot size and it came out better. Still not what I am looking for.
Koch Snowflake With Text I had high hopes for this one, but I got the settings for the text wrong and it cut though the acrylic. In both versions the text is unreadable. I may try this one again with different settings for the laser.
Koch Snowflake with a hole in the center These ones will be easy to hang on a tree, and are interesting enough. They are just okay, I think I can do better with more iterations. Out of this group I like the one with the simple star in the center.
Better then the first batch but still working on it.