The Giant Claw Game! - The Claw Research, Version 1

Contents

    Now that I got my controller working and the stepper motors moving with a RAMPs board, I decided to get started on The Claw. I knew that I would have to go thought a bunch of iterations of the claw before getting one that I liked so I wanted to start early.

    I knew I wanted a 3 pronged claw to make it easier to pick up the balloons. I need it to be as light as possible so that the motors could lift it. If it had to have some electronics in the claw its self then I wanted them to be as simple as possible.

    I made a mistake here and rushed off and made it out of cardboard. I didn’t think this design thought fully and I just wanted to get something done in a night.

    The first version was made out of cardboard and only had two prongs (grippers). I did this to make it simple (it was a prototype after all). It worked but not very well. I told myself that it was because it was made out of cardboard instead of wood. I quickly designed a three pronged version in inkscape, took it down to VHS and laser cut it.

    Cardboard claw Wooden claw

    Both of these where failures and I quickly abandoned them. Haste makes waste.

    I slept on it and instead decided to do some researcher before I designed my next version.

    More research is needed… 52 days left !