It work okay but had a few problems. It was direct drive driven and I was worried about burning out the motor. It was scary fast and got unstable as it speeds up.
Three days before Maker Faire I decide to rebuild it. First thing I did was make a new box out of lumber one that I could mount the motor underneath. Then used two pully and a belt to reduce the speed of the motor. I mounted a sheet of thick foam board on top of the center pully. It was much lighter then the wooden board I was using before making it much more stable and safer. I used some plastic fencing, duck tape and paper as a splash guard so people wouldn’t get covered in paint as it spins. The plastic fence worked but looked ugly.
Things to change for next year.
- More paper - I purchased 100 sheets of poster board that I cut in half (good quality). As well as a book of painting craft paper with 160 sheets (No as good). For a total of 360 sheets of paper. I was completely out of paper, and things that I could use as paper by noon of the 2nd day. This was good thing as well because it gave me a chance to wonder around the Faire and see what everyone else was making.
- Safety Fence - Three kids fell in to the spin art box! No one was hurt but they did get covered with paint. The plastic splash fence that I used as a splash guard couldn't hold the weight of a child as they reached in to the center to pore paint on to the board.
- Ugly Splash fence - The thing looked ugly from the outside. It could have easily been fixed up by putting spin art paints all round the outside of the splash fence.
- An assistant - Very important, It was almost impossible to go to the bathroom with a line of children waitting patiently for their turn. I also was trying to get a photo of every child with their spin art but it was impossible while operating the box at the same time.
- A time laps from above - It would have been really interesting to watch the entire thing from a camera mounted above the box doing a time laps with a picture once every 5 secs.