Some of the things that I have found interesting in January 2017.
Maps and Data
- Maps of American infrastrucure - A great series of maps of American infrastrucure
- Universal Play Machine - Universal Play Machine is an installation of five giant mechanical flipbooks sited in the forest of New Hampshire USA.
- Orbicular Lamp - A series of 3D printed shadow lamps based on veins leaves.
- RPI Music Player - A Raspberry pi music player project for streaming music from devices.
- Rune Audio - another Embeded music player project simlare to the RPI Music player. Used to stream music from devices to your stereo.
- Simple LED matrix made out of solo cups.
- Emulator in a NES Cartridge
Tips and tricks
- Battery testing with a megntic parts tray
- A guide to fire safety in industrial Spaces
- 10 Bullets. By Tom Sachs - A prop shop’s rules of the shop.
- HexCells - A logic puzzle game that I fell in love with this month. No guessing everything has an answer. There are two sequels to this game.
- Sneaky Cards - A card game where you give intersting tasks to strangers in public.
- Project Euler - Project Euler is a series of challenging mathematical/computer programming problems that will require more than just mathematical insights to solve. Although mathematics will help you arrive at elegant and efficient methods, the use of a computer and programming skills will be required to solve most problems.
- Stories: The Path of Destinies - A neat steam game where you build a story around players choices and actions. PC, RPG, Actiation-RPG.
- The Jackbox Party Pack 3 - A great party game. Everyone uses their cellphones/tablets to enter their answers.
- Turtle Wushu Tutorial - A simple game of protector your turtle. I like playing it with LED throwies instead of turtles. The follow to this game is 16 Bit Turtle Wushu Tutorial
CNC / Laser / 3D printers
- PIP Boy 3000 mark IV - Instructions and files to 3dprint and assemble a PIP Boy from fallout.
- Japanese wood paper art
- How to generate human readable onion names - Brute-forced a custom hidden service address.
- Don’t Breathe (2016) - The acting could use some work but its a great idea for a horror movie. “Hoping to walk away with a massive fortune, a trio of thieves break into the house of a blind man who isn’t as helpless as he seems.”
- Series of fan made super hero films
- Lists of some great movies - I have been slowly making my way thought this list. Lots of great movies that I have never seen.
- Puzzled Pint - Local meetup of people that attempt to solve a puzzle while drinking a pint.
- Archery Tag - Its like paintball but with bows and arrows. Lots of fun with a big group.
Home and building automation
- Mosquitto - A well maintained, fully featured, open source MQTT Client/SErver/Pub/Sub/Broker.
- phpMQTT - A Simple, single file, MQTT Pub/Sub client. Does not support SSL/TLS
- Awesome MQTT - A giant list of MQTT resources.
- MQTT Spec - MQTT is a machine-to-machine (M2M)/”Internet of Things” connectivity protocol. It was designed as an extremely lightweight publish/subscribe messaging transport. It is useful for connections with remote locations where a small code footprint is required and/or network bandwidth is at a premium.
- MQTT websocket client - A client for testing your MQTT broker’s websocket interface.
- Install and secure the Mosquitto MQTT broker on ubuntu - A create tutorial on how to get started with the Mosquitto MQTT broker.
- Node Red - Node-RED is a tool for wiring together hardware devices, APIs and online services in new and interesting ways. Works with Raspberry PI and such.
- Installing and setup for Node-RED - Install Node.js and Node-RED, get an SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt, and use Nginx to handle secure connections for Node-RED.
- LoRaWAN - Long Range Low Power Wide Area Network made for embeded devices.
- Developing IoT Mashups with Docker, MQTT, Node-RED, InfluxDB, Grafana A great intro to one persons home automation stack.
- Using SQLite with Node-RED - A simple tutorial on using SQLite with Node-RED.
- Thingsboard - Device management, data collection, processing and visualization for your IoT solution
- MQTT Warn - Subscribe to MQTT topics (with wildcards) and notifiy pluggable services. More info