Yet another brain dump post. (brain dump: snapshot of the internal state of a knowledge database for transfer or archiving purposes).
I am changing the format of the brain dumps to be more journal like instead of a list of links as in the previous versions.
At the end of 2020, my partner purchased a Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF so she could do some wildlife photography while at her new job. I have been borrowing it on my days off from work to take photos of birds. I have since become completely enamored with birdwatching. If you told me 2 years ago before the COVID-19 pandemic that I would become a birder I would not have believed you.
I have turned birding into a project for 2021. The plan is to get 52 good print quality photos of birds and make a standard deck of playing cards with photos of birds on the faces. Each card will have some information about the birds to help people identify them in the wild. Afterward, I will get the deck printed and send them to my friends and family as gifts.
I thought it was going to take me a year to get all the photos but I have already gotten 35 print quality photos, seen 57 different species of birds, and taken close to ~3,000 photos. At this rate, I should be done by end of March 2021
Some of my favorite photos so far are:
- Hooded Merganser catching a gunnel fish
- Juvenile bald eagles fighting
- Juvenile bald eagles hunting and catching ducks
- Pelagic Cormorant catching a gunnel fish
- Northern Flicker watching me watching him
- Belted Kingfisher looking majestic.
Plotter Twitter pen pals is a project where people send each other drawings made from a plotter. I have been getting more interested in plotters and CNC over the past few years and this kind of project speaks to me. To find good plotter designs follow the hashtag #plottertwitter on Twitter.
- PlotterFiles - A website for user-created pen plotter files and SVGs.
- A list of vertical white board potters
- A good introduction to generative art and design with some suggestions on software and tools.
- sphericons models that can be used with a CNC or a 3D printer. Sphericons Rolls in a Wibbly Wobbly Way
- Quote Clock a series of quotes with the current time in them.
- Cities made from layered paper and papercraft. Artist Ayumi Shibata
- What are some good utilities/tools that you don’t think other people know about?. I always like these crowdsourced lists of tools. They are good for discovering new tools.
- How to Rebuild our World from Scratch is a book with all the knowledge, designs, plans that you would need to rebuild society.
- Line to map - Draw a line on the screen and a matching map contour will be produced.