ESP8266 tips and tricksFeb 12, 2017 Edit
Last updated: 2017 Feb 12th
This is a list of tips and tricks for the ESP8266 module. I will update this page as I learn more about these chips. Pull requests are appreciated.
Where to look for help and support.
- ESP Community forums
- Gitter for ESP8266 - A group chat for the ESP8266 and the Arduino libary.
- Stackoverflow, and electronics.stackexchange are great for asking questions.
- Debugging ESP8266 Arduino - Instruction on how to set up the Arduino IDE to debug the ESP8266 Arduino libary.
- Andreas Spiess ESP8266 series. - Great youtube series of videos about the ESP8266. Highly suggested
- ESP8266 Arduino Libary
- WiFiManager - ESP8266 WiFi Connection manager with fallback web configuration portal
- WIZ Ethernet Library - A fork of the WIZ_Ethernet_Library that supports Wiznet 550io Ethernet board. (Created by me)
- Under normal operation the ESP8266 chip consumes around 70mA at 3.3v with spikes of 300mA. These spikes are really anying while building a power supply. A 1000-2200uF cap and reduce these spikes. Source: #47 Power Saving with ESP8266.
The ESP.deepSleep() function doesn’t work unless there is a delay of 100 after this command.
ESP.deepSleep(1000*10000*3, WAKE_RF_DEFAULT) ; delay(100);
- In deep sleep the ESP consumes around 0.06mA