Rabo Encendido(Cuban Oxtail Stew)Apr 8, 2008 Edit
- 5 lbs oxtail, cut in 2 inch thick rounds
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 large carrot
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 italian frying bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole tomato
- 1/2 can chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 3 bay leaf
- 1 bunch thyme, chopped
- Coat oxtail pieces with the flour and Cajun seasoning, and sear them in 3 tablespoons oil and remove from the pan.
- Then degrease the pan and deglaze with port and reserve for later use.
- In a separate pot caramelize the onions, carrot, celery and peppers, then deglaze with the red wine.
- Add the oxtails to the vegetables.
- Continue by adding in the tomatoes, chipotle, sherry, bay leaves and thyme and simmer for approximately 3 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.